Where does the money go when I purchase a carbon offset?
Currently, we support the Afognak Forest Carbon Project.
Our all volunteer team sells carbon offsets as a fundraiser. That means, when you purchase through Carbon Neutral Indiana you are not only getting the carbon benefits of the verified offsets but you're also enabling:
- Future verified, carbon projects in Indiana. We are working with both state legislators and large corporate buyers (more to come soon) to make this happen. Your support hastens the day. When this happens, we'll be able to take local Indiana leaders on field trips to explain how carbon neutrality and carbon offsets work. Imagine doing such a field trip with a mayor, superintendent of schools, president of the Chamber of Commerce, etc.
- Future part-time and full-time staff positions with wages similar to high school teachers. These staff will help households and businesses measure, offset, and reduce their footprints.
- Other projects like our summer internship program. Most of the 15 college students had environmental internships lined up but were canceled because of covid.
- Support our deeply entrepreneurial approach to climate action. Be sure to see these inspiring videos of what our network achieved in just our first 82 days as well as what we achieved in Q3, all with no grant funding and in the middle of a pandemic.
- Support CNI's long term vision. Offsets aren't it. They are a stepping stone. Our long term vision is to ignite a leadership movement and reinvigorate public service. Along the way, we're going to help all of Indiana become carbon neutral ASAP. No other organization has this vision or goal.
We modeled this fundraiser after Girl Scouts selling Girl Scout cookies. They purchase cookies wholesale for about $1-2 per box and sell them for $5. That means the margins for their fundraiser are 60-80%. It depends on the industry, but a good rule of thumb for retail is a margin of 50%. Our margins are about 40%. Because our non-profit hasn't received grant funding yet, this fundraiser is our main source of financial support.
The concept of retail margin should not be confused with the concept of non-profit overhead.
For additional context about fundraisers and markup, see what is normal in the healthcare industry!